Car 143 /"Winnie"
Click on each thumbnail to see full-size image.
Built as a single-ended PCC (President's Conference Car) streetcar by St. Louis Car Company in 1945 for (Washington) DC Transit.
Operated by DC Transit as car 1506 until abandonment of that system in February 1962.
Bought by Fort Worth's Marvin and Obediah Leonard for their proposed rail shuttle line from their vast parking lot to their downtown department store's basement station via a 1,400-foot subway that opened February 15, 1963.
The cars body was rebuilt twice and served as a subway car until the line was abandoned on August 30, 2002.
In February 2003 MATA purchased and trucked the car Dallas and touched down on M-Line tracks at the end of Cityplace Blvd.
We made modifications to transform Winnie from a subway car back to a streetcar.
Unfortunately, because of numerous ongoing mechanical failures, as of 2010, 143 has been out of service forseveral years.
To free up space in our cramped carbarn, on July 21, 2010 Winnie was moved to storage at the DART yars and shops. She will become a test bed for new technologies that may be applied to our ex-Toronto and ex-Dallas PCCs.
It is not known if Wnnie will ever return to active service..



This page last updated April 5, 2012.