1941 Dallas ordered 25 double-ended PCCs from Pullman Standard.|
priorities delayed delivery of the cars until 1945.|
car's specifications were: Length - 47' 0" Width - 8' 4" Height - 10' 6"; Trucks
- Clark B-2; Motors - 4 Westinghouse 1432 HE; Control
- Westinghouse; Brakes - Clark Drum.
Dallas' last streetcar lines were abandoned, the relatively new PCCs were retained
MTA bought 8 of the cars for their Ashmont-Mattapan line in 1958.|
bought the remaining 17 cars in 1959. Dallas car 612 was in this group.|
Dallas these PCCs were called "Gliding Beauties" and in Boston, "Texas
Boston, 612 was renumbered to 3334.|
they saw limited service on other Boston lines, the ex-Dallas PCCs primarily ran
on the Ashmont-Mattapan line.|
the late 1970s, the PCCs began to show their age and their reliability decreased.
1981, the Ashmont-Mattapan line was shut down for a 6 month rebuilding, and the
Dallas Cars were retired.
was sold to Trolleyville USA in Olmstead Township, Ohio.|
closed in 2005; In 2006 all of the cars there including 3334 were moved to Cleveland
for a proposed Lake Shore Electric Railway Museum. |
for the museum never materialized and the trolley car collection was auctioned
off to a consortium of 10 railway museums.|
purchased 3334 to bring it home and restore it to its former Dallas appearance.|
Illinois Railway Museum kindly agreed to store 3334 on their property for us for
up to three years.|