Loading

About Us & Our Cars


Car 122 "Rosie" or "The Crescent Rose"

122 was built to a standard American design by the J. G. Brill Co. of Philadelphia in 1909 for export to Porto, Portugal.
Rosie is similar to early streetcars that once operated in Dallas.
122 was retired from service in Porto in 1978.
MATA Co-founder Phil Cobb saw 122 operating in the San Francisco Trolley Fair. He bought the car and had it transported to Dallas.
At 28-feet long and 14 tons, Rosie is the smallest car in the M-Linefleet.
Rosie rides on a single Brill 21E truck with a 7-foot wheelbase, and 33-inch diameter spoked wheels.
She has two 600-volt DC, 35-horsepower traction motors: an 1890's vintage clam shell design, each held together by 4 bolts.
122 uses a type B controller, that provides regenerative braking. Unlike the other M-Line cars that have two trolley poles, Rosie has only one.
We retrofitted Rosie with a WABCO self-lapping brake valve and a GE compressor.
She was extensively overhauled in MATA's shop in 1990-1992.
Because of her age, Rosie sees limited regular revenue service. She provides back-up service for our other trolleys and operates during special events
She is popular with our riders..
Rosewood Properties and the Crescent, #122's sponsors, named her the "Crescent Rose."
M-Line operators began to referring to her as "Rosie," and soon the naming of our streetcars spread to the rest of the fleet.
Rosie celebrated her 100th birthday in 2009.

Car 186 "Green Dragon"

186 was built by the St. Louis Car Co. for Dallas Consolidated Electric Street Railway in 1913.
She served for 43 years in Dallas before being retired in 1956 when the streetcar system was abandoned.
She was stripped of her running gear and electrical wiring and sold to a private individual who used her for a hay barn in far North Dallas.
Ed Landrum, one of MATA's founders, acquired the car in 1979 and cosmetically restored her.
186 was originally displayed in the Texas Sports Hall of Fame in Grand Prairie, Texas.
When the museum closed, Ed removed 186 and donated it to MATA.
MATA restored the Green Dragon to running order in 1989.
Since the original style Stone & Webster "maximum traction" trucks were not available, to provide adequate operational clearance, MATA outfitted 186 with Melbourne "Type B" trucks that have downward slanted end-frames.
Car 186 is 42-feet' long, 8-feet wide, weighs 21 tons and uses General Electric K35JJ controllers.
The Green Dragon has four MV101 40-horsepower 600-volt DC motors driving 27-inch diameter solid wheels.
186 once actually ran on McKinney Avenue on the SMU line. Since SMU students fondly called her "The Green Dragon," it seemed appropriate to restore that nickname to the car.



Car 369 "Matilda"

369 was built in 1925 by James Moore, Ltd. for the Melbourne & Metropolitan Tramway Board in Melbourne, Australia.
The car was in continuous service in Melbourne for six decades before being purchased by MATA in 1986.
Matilda arrived in Portland, Oregon by ship and was then trucked to Dallas.
We also purchased some additional pairs of Melbourne trucks for spare parts, etc.
Acquired in running order, Matilda only required cosmetic modifications to give her a more North American appearance.
Car 369, MATA's largest streetcar, is 48' 10" long and weighs 17.5 tons.
She is the only center entrance car currently in the fleet.
Matilda has a unique interior configuration with longitudinal seating at each end, and transverse seating in the middle.
369 is divided into three compartments and has beautiful interior woodwork.
369 uses General Electric K35JJ controllers.
She has 27-inch diameter wheels and four 40-horsepower 600-volt DC motors.
Having come from "Down Under," it was only natural to nickname her "Matilda."
Matilda's restoration was sponsored by Lincoln Properties Co. and Metropolitan Insurance Co.



Car 636 "Petunia"

Car 636 was part of an order for 25 streetcars for the Dallas Railway Co. from the J. G. Brill Co.
Petunia, built in 1920, a "Birney Safety Car," (or Birney, for short) is named after its designer, Charles O. Birney of the Stone & Webster Co.
The design incorporated numerous operational and safety improvements over earlier streetcars that permitted one man operation and thereby allowed street railway companies to reduce their expenses.
Birneys were known for their bouncy riding qualities and were never very popular with the Dallas riding public.
Nevertheless, 636 ran in Dallas until 1947 when she was replaced by more modern equipment.
She was stripped of her wheels, motors, and electrical equipment before being sold to serve as a residence for 30 years.
When Ed Landrum acquired the car in the 1970s it contained a bed, sink, stove, refrigerator, easy chair and blue curtains.
Ed cosmetically restored the car and donated it to MATA.
Ed and John Landrum, Frank Schultz and Dean Smith designed and built 636's current 8-foot-long truck using parts from the extra Melbourne trucks purchased along with Car 369.
The only plans and guides were undimensioned photographs of the Fort Collins, Colorado, Birney truck.
Petunia's new truck utilizes two 40-horsepower motors driving 27-inch diameter wheels.
We later added shock absorbers to smooth out the Birney's characteristic bouncy ride.
636 is 28-feet long and weighs 10 tons.
Petunia was nicknamed, so the story goes, for "her petite size and generally sweet nature."
636's restoration was sponsored by Cityplace Corp.


Car 754 "Betty"


754, a 19-ton, 48-foot, 54-seat streetcar was built in 1926 by American Car Company for Dallas Railway 
and Terminal Co. It was originally a "Peter Witt" center entrance car.

The DR&T later removed 754's center doors when the company rebuilt each of its Peter Witts for one-man operation.


754 was on the active DR&T roster until the end of operations in January 1956.



Shortly after system abandonment, Ben Carpenter (son of the president of Dallas Railway and Terminal Company from 1927 to 1935) moved 754 to his family's Hackberry Creek Ranch in Irving, Texas, and placed it on concrete blocks.

754 spent its retirement years there serving as a playhouse for the Carpenter children and grandchildren. About ten years ago, the family built a miniature town around the car body.

When all of his children and grandchildren had grown up, Mr. Carpenter decided it was time to donate the streetcar to the McKinney Avenue Transit Authority.

The car was well cared for: The seats were in good condition, the windows and doors were intact, and the
floor was in quite good shape. Even the roof had held up well. MATA Chairman Phil Cobb said, "Considering its age, the streetcar is in fabulous condition."

We awarded a contract to Edwards Railway & Motorcar Company of Montgomery, Alabama, to restore 754. It's 100% restoration will include Melbourne Type Y trucks to which will be added resilient wheels. The Edwards Company has an outstanding reputation in the construction of reliable rail cars.

754 will be insulated and air conditioned. She will ride on resilient wheels and have a/c motors. These improvements will result in a smoother, more comfortable, and quieter ride.

754 is painted in Dallas Railway and Terminal's postwar read and cream color scheme.

The 754 restored car body arrived at MATA on June 21, 2009. She is being finished with wiring, controls, motors, trucks, etc. and will soon be placed into revenue service on March 1, 2014.


7169 "Emma"

Car 7169 was originally built in the United States and delivered to Johnstown Traction Company of Johnstown, Pennsylvania in 1949.

Emma operated in Johnstown until 1960, when Johnstown Traction stopped operations.

Emma, along with some sister cars, shipped off to Brussels, Belgium to serve commuters.

Deemed to be too wide for Belgian streets, Emma was equipped with a new, narrower body to be fitted to the original trucks and electronics. Emma was put into experimental service in 1970

After the successful experiment, Emma served the streets of Brussels for over 40 years.

In the summer of 2012 John Landrum and Joel James inspected and approved Emma for service in the vibrant Uptown and Downtown areas of Dallas.

You can now see Emma operating on MATA's M-Line Route and catch a free ride!