McKinney Avenue Transit Authority (MATA) has partnered with Green Mountain Energy Sun Club and Environ Partners to harness and promote renewable energy and environmental stewardship.
Thanks to the generosity of Green Mountain Energy Sun Club’s grant of $368,000 for a set of Sustainability Projects, MATA’s operation will become even more energy efficient in the next year. Many consider the McKinney Avenue Trolley already “green” as we run our streetcars on electricity, not limited, expensive and polluting fossil fuels. This new partnership aims to make our system more energy efficient by reducing electricity consumption and saving costs. It will also bring awareness of environmentally conscious renewable resources on both a small and large scale.
The Sustainability Projects include:
- Installation of a roof top 42.7 kW Solar Array system on the McKinney Avenue Trolley Car Barn will produce energy from sunlight and offset approximately 20% of total usage resulting in significant savings.
- The Car Barn roof will undergo a “cool roof” treatment to reflect more sunlight and absorb less heat to stay much cooler, saving energy and money by using less air conditioning. It will also improve indoor comfort for the large portion of the Car Barn that is not air conditioned.
- Trolley Car Barn and trolley windows will be solar tinted to reduce more than 90% of UV rays, preventing heat from penetrating the Barn and trolley cars, thus lowering electricity costs by more than $2,500 each year.
- LED Lighting Conversion for the Car Barn and MATA offices will be installed replacing existing lighting. LED bulbs last longer, are more durable, offer comparable or better light and are the most energy-efficient lighting available today.
- Replacing the outdated, inefficient air conditioning units on trolleys with new commercial grade units improving comfort for passengers and reducing electricity usage and maintenance costs. This upgrade will allow our trolleys to continue to transport passengers comfortably while saving an estimated $12,800 annually.
- MATA also plans to install an educational kiosk at the new M-Line Tower facility that will track the performance of the solar and lighting upgrades implemented at MATA in real time. In addition, the kiosk will have educational elements explaining renewal energy initiatives which we can include in future DISD schools Field Trips and other events.
The Sustainability Project will help MATA become more energy efficient by reducing our electricity consumption and expenses, and equally important, will improve the experience for our more than 500,000 riders every year. This green initiative will have a positive environmental impact on MATA and the surrounding Uptown area for years to come.
Thank you Green Mountain Energy Sun Club and Environ Partners LLC!